Live Well: Navigating Holiday Parties
I love the holiday period, and all the food, fun, and connection it brings - but the constant late nights, alcohol and eating off track can make me feel less than my usual lightest brightest self. I’m heading out to London for a week to celebrate with my friends and family there, so my social commitments feel like double this year (I’m not complaining)!
Below are the wellness strategies I’ll be using so I can show up for the holidays as my best, energized, vital and glowing self…
1) Stay consistent! Now is the time to really make sure you are sticking to the PRIME principles - eating your servings of 7-9 veggies a day, working out and staying hydrated. In the word for my very smart husband ‘control the controllables’, be this what you can eat for breakfast, getting your workout in, or how you manage your stress levels.
2) A holiday party has a set time frame - don’t let it creep out into the entire day! If anything double down on your healthy habits the day of the party so you show up feeling energized and able to get the most out of the occasion.
3) The day of the party have a protein, fat and fibre based breakfast (I’m on smoothie lockdown at this time of year), aim to get a workout in to increase insulin sensitivity and get you glowing, and get super hydrated too.
4) I always eat a mini meal before I leave to keep my blood sugar and energy levels stable, and so I am empowered (not hungry) to make smart drink and food choices. A mini smoothie, apple and nut butter or hummus and veggies are great options.
5) If my outfit of choice feels a little too snug around the middle I take a charcoal supplement to help rid me of any gas or bloating - my faves are these super affordable capsules from Bulletproof (they are also my go-to if I feel I might have accidentally been ‘glutened’):
6) Choose your drinks wisely: low sugar options include prosecco, champagne and organic red wine (which can also contains health boosting antioxidants), and if harder options are your thing then clear spirits such as vodka and gin have less toxins and are less likely to cause a hangover. Pair with seltzer water rather than sugary sodas or chemically laden diet drinks.
7) To avoid dehydration, too many empty calories, and feeling terrible the next day always order a glass of water with your alcoholic drink. The added benefit is that if you have your alcoholic drink in one hand and your water in the other it's impossible to reach for the high calorie, low nutrient canapés that might be on offer.
8) The next day start with a large glass of alkalizing, digestion boosting, adrenal supporting warm water, Himalayan salt and lime juice. Leave the coffee until later in the day to give your liver time to process the alcohol and toxins from before. Workout, eat light, and dry and jump in an infrared sauna if you can - leaving you light and bright and party ready again!
Do you have any top tips for surviving holiday parties? Share the love and share them below…